The figures that eventually make their way into your collection go through a number of design changes even before you get to see photographs of the prototypes. Oftentimes these changes happen during the design process as Eric works in ZBrush to refine the sculpture itself, or sometimes these changes occur during the painting process as Sheri applies the prototype paints to the figures. Occasionally, however, a figure makes it all the way to being photographed before we realize that we want to make some tweaks. In these instance, we actually end up with photo examples of these “early version” protoypes, including the one we are showing here – Morgolyth from the Advent of Decay wave.
As you can see in these photos, the original plans for this skeletal high priestess called for her elaborate head dress to be painted in purple and silver. Once we saw this prototype, however, we decided that the purple on her head dress was just a bit too much, and it actually overpowered the figure itself a bit. We pulled those paints back a bit to go with the all silver look for the head dress that you see on the final figures that were released.
Note that these prototype pictures also show this figure with different shoulder pauldrons than we eventually decided on for this character.
Published on 12.17.19